Topic of Module: What do we do when kids are not learning?
Date: January 25th, 2013
Presenter(s): Mollie Arpin & Darren Oakes
Summary: This module had us read, discuss and think about Education Support Services, Professional Learning Communities and inclusionary practices. It provoked participants to reflect on what happens in their school when students are not learning.
Reflection and Application: This module was actually quite eye-opening for me since I’ve never thoroughly studied a pyramid of intervention in depth. With the information I gleaned from this module, I was actually able to help create a three tier pyramid for our school. This was quite beneficial since it allowed me to recognize and understand the levels of support in place for students at our school specifically.
The videos on crisis situation and response in this module were also eye-opening, and I brought back integral information to my administration and staff. One particular tip was poignant for us: During a school lock-down, the fire alarm should be ignored since the perpetrator may pull the alarm in an attempt to have people emerge into the corridors. I had never considered this before this module.
Resources and Readings from:
See the work-in-progress pyramid I’ve helped to construct:
http://hms.nbed.nb.ca/document/double-pyramid-intervention

No comments:
Post a Comment